By: Novelle Shakeel
2. Black Pumps: Again, a classic. Get a comfortable pair that you can wear all day and with a variety of outfits. This usually means that they don’t have embellishments and that they are close toed. Out of all the shoes in my closet, this pair has to be heels.
3. Tailored Black Suit: While a black suit may sound boring, it is something that does not go out of style. It is always appropriate in work environments, and you can wear the pieces separately as well.
4. Wool Coat: Even if you live in a warmer climate (like Southern California) it is always a good idea to invest in a wool coat in case it gets really cold or you take a trip somewhere. This is a piece that should have a classic silhouette since you will keep it for more than a year, so shop around, wait for sales, and don’t be afraid to put down a little more money for a good quality coat. It will pay for itself in the long run.
5. Leather Jacket: Sometimes the weather gets a little cool, but not cold enough for a coat and sometimes, you want to embrace your inner badass. Either way, a black leather jacket is the way to go. Pick something you can see yourself wearing season after season.
6. Dark Jeans: There truly is nothing like a pair of perfectly tailored jeans. I like to wear flats and heels, so that means I own two different pairs with different lengths. The key is to keep the denim dark, as it can be worn for years, and it will go with everything in your closet.
7. Plain T-Shirt: Part of the supermodel uniform, the plain cotton t-shirt is the perfect layering piece. The outfits that can result are limitless and you should pick a few basic colors (white and black) before venturing into colors. I particularly like J. Crew’s vintage cotton tees. They are super soft and don’t lose their shape over time.
8. Ballet Flats: Ballet flats are the workhorses in the shoe department. You can throw them on to run errands, go out on a date, or on the plane. They are stylish enough to pull an outfit together, but also comfortable to wear all day.
9. Black Cotton Pants: Think Audrey Hepburn. There are times when jeans are not appropriate for an event, while wearing suit trousers can be too formal. The solution? Black cotton pants! You can do the cropped version where it hits right around the ankle or a full length. Just make sure that they are not too tight and tailored properly to flatter.
10. Black Cardigan: This is another “goes with everything” piece. Throw it on over a pair of jeans or a dress, and it blends in seamlessly. It’s less formal than a blazer and less casual than a leather jacket.